KIBI- Karmapa International Buddhist Institute

Late 2004, I had paid my first visit to KIBI, and instantly I fell head over heels for this place, the
place was an embodiment of solitude hope and comfort to me. I was introduced to the place by the gatekeeper as the Sikkim Ministry, with the mere mention of Sikkim ministry my curiosity grew tenfold and I had to enter the place and see it for myself. So sportingly I went inside KIBI and ahhh to my relief and amazement it was a monastery of The thousand Buddha. It was one of the spectacular and splendid monastry I have ever seen, I was awe struck by the beauty and the serenity the place had to offer to it's visitors…One day I took a mission to count the Buddha stalked up there, but I lost count mid way....


The magnificent view of KIBI
Buddha statue in KIBI

I was with my friend Dechan, when we first set our eyes on the monastery looking architecture I met a gentleman from Sikkim, he had come to delhi to fight for a bill, He was a retired lawyer and on my further conversation with him I came to know that he was acquainted to my grand father, I also saw few more old people in the site which made me believe that KIBI was an old age home. Later it was demystified by some monk who enlightened me with the information that the place was an institute to learn Kagyu lineage of philosophy and Buddhism.


The door to heaven

Few years later I was back to KIBI, less of what I used to be since I first stepped into that place. It was four year hence, subconsciously I would have wished to come back…this time fortunately I had ample amount of time and sorrowful and confused soul that made me a frequent visitor to the place…I found myself coming to the place over and over again… My only motive to come to the place again and again was to seek answers to seek solace and guidance on the turbulent time of my life………Well I got more than what I desired and dreamt of here.

Photo courtesy : Tavish Basu

1 comment:

imna said...

i want to thank you for showing me that place....when i want peace in my soul...i think of that gumpa, and i got blessed by karmapa :)